Proverbs 16:24

"Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones." -Proverbs 16:24

January 02, 2012

the most terrifying responsibility

(i found intense inspiration for this post here, please read.)


i have two children to raise.

i want Hunter to be a man. a 'hold-her-hand', 'kill-some-supper', 'not-too-tough-to-pray-on-my-knees', 'dirt-under-my-fingernails', 'farm-boy' man.

i want Adalia to be a woman. a 'modesty-before-style', 'meek-but-strong', 'cookin-in-an-apron', 'tender-loving-care', 'proverbs-31' woman.

i want to pray against generational sin poking its ugly head around in their lives. i want them to memorize scripture so often that its stuffed to the brim in their hearts. i want them to help the helpless and love the unloved. i want them to want not, but to also understand frugality and sacrifice. i want them to love america. i want them to guard their hearts. i want them to be thankful, humble, gracious, giving, perserverant (new word?), Bible-loving, obedient, thoughtful, slow-to-anger perfect creations of a perfect Creator.

i need to rely on the grace of my eternal God to be the parent they need me to be. i have to commit daily to be up to the challenge. to intercede for them in prayer, to discipline them, to love them unconditionally, and to raise them up in the way that they should go.

and I AM A FAILURE. i am a mess-up and a learn-the-hard-way fool. i am undisciplined and a sinner. but God knew just what my kiddos needed in a parent, in a mother, and He completes me if I am in Him and remain in Him and trust in Him and use His strength.

what a terrifying responsibility! and what an undeserved honor...

4 comments:

  1. Well said.. I love this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved that for you kids, and I hope they can be that as they grow older. Sounds like they have a great mother who has nothing but the best in mind for them.

    I can only hope one day my kids can have these traits as well, God willing.
    Emily at Amazing Grapes

    ReplyDelete
  3. So very true! That is what I want for my children as well and I find myself failing as well! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "sniff""sniff"....you are wise beyond your years.. have a heart as big as texas and grace that is amazing! Of course we want all of these things for our children as well. I hope some day I too will be able to know that I did what I could with what god gave me to make these things happen. But yet I know that I too Fail.. by a long shot!

    ReplyDelete